Status: Full Planning Consent
Category: Student Accommodation
Topics: Conservation Area, Listed Buildings
Student Housing, Conservation Project
Conversion of Working Men's Club, York
In the early 1800’s this building on Lawrence Street, in York, has been the home of the Tuke family who were Quaker innovators involved in establishing Rowntree's Cocoa Works, The Retreat Mental Hospital, and three Quaker schools; Ackworth, Bootham, and The Mount.
Formerly used as a working men’s club the building had been unoccupied for many years and fell into significant disrepair. In recent years the prominent listed building had become an eyesore.
Working closely with our client, CSP Architects and planning and conservation officers at City of York Council, the development retained the existing listed building, removing some of the later additions, returning the Lawrence Street frontage to its former splendor.
To the rear of the main house unsightly extensions and dilapidated outhouses were removed, being replaced by new accommodation, creating a new streetscape onto Brinkworth Terrace and providing an attractive courtyard area
The development also incorporated the conversion of the Tam O’Shanter public house to provide leisure and workspace facilities for the student residents.