The former North Eastern Railway Company Offices is a Grade II* Listed Building which was constructed in 1906 as a headquarters building. It is a splendidly detailed building which suffered from insensitive alterations over the years resulting in considerable erosion of its character, particularly the special qualities of its internal features.
O’Neill Associates helped the client find and secure the services of a firm of architects with an impressive track record in the conversion of prestigious listed buildings into hotel use. A scheme comprising substantial internal alterations and the erection of a 4 storey rear extension was developed which respected the history of the building and restored its character. Enthusiastic support was received for the proposals from the Council’s Conservation Officer and English Heritage.
Planning permission and listed building consent was received for the works, which have now been implemented and have returned to building to much of its original splendour.